Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The No-Shave November Logs, Day 28: Establish Good Work Habits

I'm revisiting Stephen King's On Writing, and it's like reliving a lecture from my dad. I don't say that as a criticism, only to give you a sense of the feeling it gives me as I listen (I'm a longtime lover of the audiobook format). It's like simultaneously being chastised and encouraged.

I don't write regularly. I've been writing pretty much every day (I missed last Saturday), but never at the same time or in the same place. What I really need in my writing life is some regularity. Insert Ex-Lax joke here.

I built myself a writing nook in my furnace room earlier this year, and have only used it five or six times. It's small and free of distractions (the regular roar of the furnace necessitates the use of earmuffs, which effectively deafen me), which is exactly what King recommends. I think the main thing keeping me out of it is that the chair in there isn't very comfortable, but that's a BS excuse, because none of the other chairs in my house are comfortable either.

So I'm going to try a new system, starting tomorrow morning. I'm going to get up at a reasonable hour (I'm thinking 10:00), lock myself into my writing nook, and write. I'm going to do the same thing every morning for the rest of the year, and then take a look back at how well it's worked.

My guess is that I'll be pretty happy with the results. Assuming, of course, that I get to bed at a reasonable hour each night. But that's another bad habit I need to find a solution for. Oh well! One thing at a time.



DAILY NO-SHAVE NOVEMBER PIC:


I call this look, Hopeful Sailor.


You can follow me on Twitter (CLICK HERE) and LIKE me on Facebook (CLICK HERE) if you haven't already. Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment