Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Taking the pledge...

I've sworn off TV, movies, and video games for the month of April. No joke. Those of you who know me are aghast, I'm sure. Don't worry. If you come over to my house to visit, I'll still watch a movie with you. I've just decided not to indulge in any electronic entertainment (other than e-books, facebook, and Twitter) while I'm alone.

I'm only 4 days in, so my view may be a little skewed, but so far I'm split between feeling like I'm in hell, and feeling like I've never been more productive. All I want to do right now is sit down and watch a movie. Any movie. I just want to zone out for a while. At the same time, let's take a look at what I've gotten done, shall we? Oh, and to give it a little context, I'll compare my accomplishments of the last 4 days with my accomplishments of the previous 2 weeks.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS, 4/1/12 - 4/4/12 (4 days)

-Wrote, rewrote, and published this blog entry.
-Designed, drew, and uploaded banner for my facebook page.
-Finished polish of short story, printed it, prepped it, and submitted it to Leading Edge Magazine.
-Wrote, polished, and posted movie review of Fright Night (2011 remake)
-Repacked and shipped my son's Amazon return (This may not seem like a big deal to you, but believe me, this could have dragged on for weeks before I finally got around to it).
-Insulated, sheeted, and laid sub-floor in my front porch addition.

ACCOMPLISHMENTS, 3/18/12 - 3/31/12 (2 weeks)

-Moved my movie reviews over to my main blog.
-Set up Twitter account and facebook page for StinkerFest
-Wrote cover letter for and polished 1/3 of my short story.

Accomplished 6 things in 4 days vs. Accomplished 2 things and partially accomplished a 3rd in 2 weeks. Compelling statistics, even for a slacker like me.

And yet, despite the undeniable uptick in productivity, my inner slacker weeps every time I walk past my TV without turning it on.

Sigh.

One day at a time, sweet Jesus...

No comments:

Post a Comment