Monday, April 30, 2012

The Pledge: Day 30, or Thanks For Talking Me Through This

So, it's the final day of my no movies, TV, video games pledge, and I'm thinking of quitting early.

"What?" I can hear you say. "How could you betray us like that, Gabe?"

Don't think of it as betrayal. Think of it as time off for good behavior. I've been very productive this month. Well, comparatively, anyway. I've gotten a lot of stuff done, and even more stuff half-done.

"But Gabe," you say, "why not close the month strong and finish up some of those half-finished projects you just now mentioned?"

Jeeze, if I'd known you were going to give me the third degree, I wouldn't have said anything! Anyway, I'm sick today! Do you have any idea how awful it is to be sick and stuck in bed with nothing to do? It's the worst! It's almost as bad as being in a funk on a Saturday!

"But Gabe," you say, "you could always read a book or listen to some music. Perhaps you could queue up one of those internet podcasts you discovered this month."

Hey, who told you about those? Seriously, I want to know who you've been talking to! You think it's okay to go snooping around in my private life just because I tell you about it in my blog?

"Gabe, Gabe," you say, "you're missing the point. All I'm saying is, aren't there things you could be doing besides watching TV? You've done so well up 'til now. It'd be a shame to blow it all on the last day."

Well, I guess so. I just really miss watching TV is all. But you're right. I shouldn't give up when I'm so close to the finish line. All right, you've convinced me. I'll stick it out for the rest of the day. But I'm warning you, when midnight rolls around, all bets are off.

"That's fine," you say. "That's just fine. Just stick with it, okay?"

Okay. Thanks for talking me through it. You were right all along. I need to finish what I started. And don't worry, I will get around to finishing up those half-finished projects. But it'll have to wait until I feel better. That cool?

"Sure," you say.

Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, and good job with the pledge, I'm impressed! Love ya

    ReplyDelete